Monday, June 27, 2011
Skill Builder - Blocks #1 & #2
For our first block we were to work on the accuracy of our cutting and seam allowances. To practice these skills we sewed a Log Cabin block. After doing some thinking about it I decided to do a variation that would give me a square in a square. For the most part I followed Leila's instructions for the cutting and construction of the block. I varied it by only using four fabrics.
I'm really happy with how it came out, both in terms of how the fabric layout looks and the accuracy of my piecing. Looking at all the variations in the Flickr group makes me want to makes lots more though!
Block #2 is a nine patch where we played with value (light vs. dark). Again, although I used the instructions Leila provided for the cutting and piecing I varied the layout of the fabrics within the block.
Some of my corners don't meet up as well as I'd like (I tend to be a perfectionist) but really they're not that bad, so I'm not going to let it bother me. Besides, I'm giving myself permission to enjoy the process and have less than perfect results. :)
Here are both blocks together.
Looking forward to the next block!